Friday, August 28, 2009

Oh what a night..

Im in.

Everything has gone pretty smoothly so far. We ended up heading down half an hour later than I wanted to, but its ok. We got down around 10:30 and had to get a ton of information before I could even begin to unpack the car. When I got to signing the housing agreement, I found out that one of my roommates (Dana) had already gotten there. And she got the best bed. But that's the way it is. You get there first, you get first choice.

So when we finally got to unload the car, there were some cool goucher students there to help us actually move my stuff into the room. They were super nice, but.. I don't have a great memory and I wouldn't be able to pick them out of a line-up if I tried. But the effort was appreciated. Dana got the bed in the corner secluded area (pictures to follow) and I got the bed against the other wall. Lawanda, being the last person here, got the bed in the middle of both of ours. Which stinks, but hey, she was last.

Mom and dad didn't linger too long (although mom wanted to) and after getting all moved in pretty much all of our parents left, and we headed to a welcoming ceremony. There, we got to hear the dean, the head of activities, and a few students on the advising board. Everyone that spoke was pretty funny and I think it really eased the tension of the students and the remaining parents. In this assembly, they asked everyone to say their final goodbyes, and I got to see some weepy faces. Which was, I don't mean to sound heartless, pretty funny. :)

After that, we broke into groups with our summer mentors, who had been contacting us all summer via facebook and e-mail. My mentor's name is Julia, and she is awesome. We sat under a tree and did an ice-breaking activity and talked about some important things we need to know coming onto the campus and the different things that would be happening the rest of the day.

After that we went to dinner and I was originally sitting all by my lonesome, but then 5 guys came over and we started talking about halo, and how much we could all eat. I think I'm going to fit in well here.

Apres dinner, we had a little extra time and we got to go back to our dorms for a bit and unwind. Then I heard a bunch of noise coming from the lawn outside my window and discovered another ice-breaking activity was ensuing. This one the whole freshman class stood in parallel lines and I introduced myself to about 100 people in about 10 minutes. Again, poor memory, although I may be able to remember a few faces if I saw them in class. Then we broke into groups again, this time with an adviser for our houses (I'm in Mary Fisher) and I got to meet a guy from Iraq. It is his first time in the US, he has only been here for about a month, and he already speaks perfect english. I on the other hand, have been talking french for 6 years and I can barely hold a conversation. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

Then we had more free time, so Dana and I went looking for our house's common room. We stumbled upon it.. filled with a bunch of junior, senior, and graduated girls. And then they invited us to play apples to apples. I honestly, could not feel my face I was laughing so hard. Everyone here is so amazing. They gave me some pretty cool advice. :)

Finally, we had a house meeting. That was basically just info being thrown at us. And laughing with our CA's (community advisers). Finally, at around 10:30, we got to go back to our rooms. I was disgusting, so I had my first experience with a college shower. All I can say is.. Interesting.

Last night there was a terrible thunderstorm, and I couldn't get to sleep until around 3. So I munched on mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies, walked around the floor, and slowly but surely drifted.

Now its 8. And we have something at 9. What was it again? And was it mandatory? ... :)

1 comment:

  1. Well it looks as if you are settling in nicely. Miss you!! XOXOX